Sunday, July 29, 2012

Santorini Tomatoes

Some years ago when we holidayed in Santorini, we heard about the special tomatoes available there. They were supposed to taste extra delicious because of the volcanic soil in Santorini – sweeter, juicier. Naturally, I had to make a beeline for the nearest market and pick up a bunch, and yes, they were everything they were slated to be. But of course, I had to try and tamper with perfection – and quite successfully, on that occasion at least.


Last week, I found some really big-sized cherry tomatoes that reminded me of the ones in Santorini, so I repeated the salad – with equally good results.

It’s incredibly simple – take some good quality extra virgin olive oil, preferably Italian, as I find Spanish ones heavier to the palate. Crush or mince a couple cloves of garlic and add to the olive oil. Pour over the tomatoes. Leave to marinate for a couple of hours, at room temperature. Serve with a spritz of lime juice, a sprinkling of salt added just before you bring it to the table, and toss a chiffonade of basil on the top.

If you need to refrigerate it for some time, make sure you bring it out and back down to room temperature before serving. Tastes great by itself or over garlic toast, as a bruschetta topping. I’m debating serving this over a bed of rocket leaves the next time, am sure it’ll taste fab!

No comments: